View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 05:48 PM
KingAirDriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

I flew a Caravan for them (UPS run) several years ago. It was my first 135 job. I was based well away from DPA and, as stated, they turn you loose and you just do your thing. You didn't hear from the office much at all unless MX was coming due or they had some other question. I never had any issues with the management and MX was good about getting things fixed.

The runs, most of them anyway, were M-Th or M-F. I started about 7pm each night and flew about .7 hrs to the hub and off-loaded. We had 1-2 other planes (also Planemasters) that would also meet up there and then we'd head to the company's apartment (with the company car) for the night. Wake up the next morning to meet the jet, load up and head home. Usually done by about 8:30 the next morning. Most guys, including myself, had a P/T job during the day.

It was a fun job and good experience, although building time came slooooooowly. Sucked being away from my wife every night. Dealing with the UPS managers could be a pain. It doesn't matter to them if the RVR is 800 feet; if they can see across the street then they're screaming, lol.