View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 PM
skidoomike
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2010

This is why I got out of aviation. As many have said in these forums, everything comes with a price and a sacrafice, but somehow in aviation it is never over. Yes, you must pay your dues in every proffesion. I busted my a** for years and paid my dues 5 times but they always wanted more. Kind of like paying to get in to see a movie and then someone comes into the theatre during the movie and keeps asking for more money. And if you will not pay the price to stay in then someone else will. Sadly this tactic has moved into other proffesions as well.Would love to fly proffesionally again but only for the right people. Next week I am going to have a good time boring holes in the sky in a rented 152. Can't wait. All that mess in proffesional aviation has given me an appreciation for the simple again!
Originally Posted by deltabound View Post
My god. Why didn't anyone else think of this? Think of how much money airlines could make if they were non-profit, volunteer operations!

The CEO will even take a month off pay! Oh . . but that's after he takes his raise after overseeing record losses. Let's not go crazy here!

Seriously . . if this is the best the CEO can come up with, it's time for the business to close it's doors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

British Airways asks staff to work for free - Times Online
British Airways asks staff to work for free

British Airways has asked its 40,000 staff to work without pay for up to a month as the ailing airline seeks to cut costs.
The group, which made a record £401 million loss in 2008 amid surging fuel prices and a collapse in premium-fare passengers, is seeking to reduce costs dramatically and has already offered staff unpaid leave or a reduction in hours.

Willie Walsh, BA’s chief executive, has now gone a step further by asking staff to volunteer for between one and four weeks of unpaid work in what he says is a “fight for survival.”

Mr Walsh, who said last week that he would work for free in July, has set a deadline of June 24 for employees to volunteer for unpaid work. He said that the salary deductions would be spread over three to six months wherever possible.
function slideshowPopUp(url) { pictureGalleryPopupPic(url); return false; }

BA denied that those staff who volunteered for unpaid work would be given preference if the airline imposes a further round of redundancies.
The airline is currently negotiating pay deals and job reductions with its ground handling staff, pilots and cabin crew, who have been told that the airline needs to settle discussions by the end of the month. In total, BA is thought to be seeking as many as 4,000 job cuts, including 2,000 voluntary redundancies among the 14,000 cabin crew.

Last week it emerged that BA pays its cabin crew and pilots up to twice as much as rival airlines. The average salary for BA’s 14,000 cabin crew, including bonuses and allowances, is £29,900, compared with £14,400 at Virgin Atlantic and £20,200 at easyJet. BA’s pilots earn an average of £107,600, compared with £89,500 at Virgin and £71,400 at easyJet.
The request for volunteers to work for free was made in the company’s BA news magazine. In an article headlined Action Time, Mr Walsh wrote: “I am looking for every single part of the company to take part in some way. It really counts. We face a fight for survival. These are the toughest trading conditions we have ever seen and there simply are no green shoots.
“Our survival depends on everyone contributing to changes that permanently remove costs from every part of the business,” he added.