Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 PM
ATCsaidDoWhat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: What day is it?

Originally Posted by jtf560 View Post
The IBT provides some organization and resources, but when it comes time to defend an aviation group and really support them- the stuff that costs money for lawyers and such- they seam to end the support quite fast. They are more interested in collecting your dues than really providing service. That is why NetJets started their own union- the money that was sent to the IBT wasn't ever going to come back to be used when needed and the union could only be as strong as the local could be without much help from the overall body- most of the times help was asked it was denied. I'm not saying they have no use and that every group should make their own union, but I don't believe they provide the service they should.
No one can argue your perspective. And as a great scholar once said, "everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own set of facts."

The fact is under Don Treichler, you were horribly represented. So was everyone in Local 747. The truth is that unless you voted to pay more in dues, only .22% of the 1.56% you paid in dues went to the International. The rest was kept by you at your Local to use as you saw fit.

Treichler and Sowell were removed. New leadership was put in and cleaned house. You guys were in the process of leaving when that happened. In fact, the new leadership told you that they understood your reasons and would not fight you. They kept their word.

Your sister carrier at Local 1108 just ratified their contract. Perhaps it would be good to ask their leadership about the support, both financial and staff, in getting that contract. 88% of the membership voted and ratified it with a 95% margin.

Again, you are correct that under the old leadership, service was poor. Your post infers that is still the case...which I honestly don't believe you intended.