Thread: Aspen flying
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Vampman
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2010
Exclamation

Originally Posted by skylane8 View Post
I am going to be flying into Aspen on a regular basis in a cessna mustang. Wondering what to expect about winds, turbulence, etc. Thanks

Ok.... I have flown into Aspen a million times. If you don't have substantial mountain flying experience DO NOT GO!. Sky west has some severe procedures, and crews dedicated to this airport.

If you choose to go regardless, here are some tips. Land on 15, take off on 33. Do not take off on 33. Fly the localizer in as published, and give yourself a much higher personal minimum. Do not circle to 33 in a jet!

Make sure you a FULLY configured to land by the time you reach DBL. Look at the chart!! there is very little room to make any errors, some of these turns are sharp without much room. Winds change very quickly, turbulence can be severe. Like I said, if you don't have substantial experience in the rockies DO NOT GO!

Go arrounds can be deadly! find someone who knows that airport and fly with them.

It's a no joke hard airport to fly in and out off. You can very easily kill yourself if you don't know what you're doing. GJT is just around the corner, so it might be better to go there and drive.

You can PM me if you need more info.