Old 06-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Mason32
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Reclined

Originally Posted by winglet View Post
Nevets,

This is exactly my point. I was trying to show the nonsensical way the media and the industry categorize airlines. The lines have been intentionally blurred between "Major" and "Regional". Describing airlines based on revenue is a poor way to catagorize airlines and provides no information to the public as to the type of operation.

Outsourced airlines are not "feeding" "mainline" any more than they are "regional". The "major" airlines are not even "major" in many cases. "National", "Commuter", "Air Taxi", etc. no longer apply.

Let's stop hiding the outsourced airlines from the public. Better terms need to be established to shed light on the Contractor Airline/Outsourced Airline relationship. If the aircraft you are in has another airline's logo on the tail then you are flying on an outsourced/contracted aircraft. This also applies regardless of the "wholly-owned" status.

winglet
Well, then I guess by your standards, American Airlines is a contract airline, that is owned and operated by it's parent company AMR.

It's sister company (Eagle), also owned by AMR (not by AA) would likewise be a contract company.

Conversely, Comair is owned by DAL and is subsidiary so it would be contract company then right? But then again, all profit created by Comair stays at DAL with their shareholders... so where does that leave RAH doing their contract work for DAL but taking the profit away from the parent company.

I do understand what you are saying; but you are just trading one set of misunderstandings for another.

When places like RAH are profitable enough to buy two large plane operators in one year then were is the profit in this industry? It certainly isn't at the legacy... and that being the case, where do you expect the growth to be?

Changing names isn't going to change the facts except to make you feel better.