Thread: Cathay Pacific
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 12:59 PM
IndyAir Guy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005

Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
Thanks Indy...much appreciated. Are you LA based since your in the 777? How do you like CX so far after 2.5yrs? Would you or could you go to the freighter? I understand all fleets/senorities are combined now...for new hire DEFOs on the frieghter next year is it still a 10-15yr. upgrade on those freighters?
I like CX very much, best quality of life and money. Long haul isnt very much fun but thats long haul for you. Most of the guys are great, some are not but you get that at any place. I wouldnt say CX has more than its share of them.

With the new Conditions Of Service (COS '08) being specifically a "freighter" guy doesnt really exist. If your on the 74 you can fly both Pax, and freight. Its my understand that you now cant upgrade to "freight only" but rather upgrade to the 74 so there is no "quick" upgrades.

Upgrades, upgrades, upgrades... everyone wants to know how fast upgrades are. If you want to get to the left seat fast then go to Gulfstream International in Miami. If your coming from a regional or a US major where the starting pay is $33 and hour and no health care things are a little different here. Your starting at around $100,000 so there is no great rush to upgrade so you can afford a pizza. With long haul flying you dont fly that much so it take more time to get the experience that you would get in a few years in the short haul world. How long will it take me to upgrade? I cant honestly answer that since there are so many qualified guys ahead of my, the change of retirement age to 65, and I'm unable to predict growth. I dont think anyone can see more then 1 year out in this industry. In the mean time, I am very content to sit in the right seat.