View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 06:21 PM
AVIVIII
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: DHC-6 / PC-12

I went through ATP's 90-Day program (Back when it was only $28k...) in Jacksonville. I did a lot of research, talked to a lot of people and visited many different schools, including 3 different ATP locations. Included in my training was the 2 week CFI program which is the same one that they are offering for $6k. Have absolutely no concerns about the quality of training that you will receive. It is very intensive and intensively thorough. I came away from the entire experience with absolutely no complaints, what so ever.

If you are trying to choose a location, let me give you some quick advice. Since you are already traveling a fair distance, it really shouldn't matter too much
where you go.

Choose Jacksonville, hands down.

A couple of reasons:
1.) It is ATP's home base. This is important especially for you. During my training there, we spent a lot of time at other locations, and JAX was definitely the most professional. Not to say that the others weren't professional, but there was something about the air at JAX that demanded excellence from everyone.

2.) Along with 1.), the best of the best are there as far as staff is concerned. The best instructors get JAX. The chief instructors are great guys and the one that does the bulk of the CFI class is Master CFI Walt Schamel. You will learn soooo much.

3.) Again, back to 1.), if you want to work for the company you will meet the guys in dispatch, the big guy, Jim K. and all of the other important people that make the company tick. You will also meet the woman that put the resumes on Jim's desk...

As far as working for them goes, they definitely demand the same excellence and intensity that they provide. My instructor logged over 1000 hrs of MEL time in a year flying every day and spending an average of 11 hours a day between the airport and the sim. (obviously not flying all that time), and was still very energetic and truly loved her job. Just remember, the check book might not really like the job, but the log book will love it. Plus, you get to live about 10 minutes from the airport (KCRG) with a whole bunch of pilots. If you want to live, sleep, eat and breath airplanes (namely PA-44s!) this is the place for you. I made that decision and I loved it, no regrets.