View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 09:03 AM
captain_drew
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: FredEx Captain-Retired

Originally Posted by SWAjet
Yeah, Scope can come back to bite ya if you're not careful. I look forward to seeing your new industry leading rates, however; much more interesting to view than a scope clause or scheduling language- at least from an outsider's point of view. Good luck fighting the brown wooly mammoth!

SWAjet
I could have read this wrong, but attitudes like the above are indicative as to why pilot groups regularly get their asses handed to them on a plate come contract time -and subsequently.

Watch the little pea under the walnut shell while management moves an elephant into the room with you. “Huh. . how did that pachyderm get in here?”

Man ! If you don’t think SCOPE and scheduling/work rules aren’t MORE important than pay-rates . . that’s where the industry problem lies.

To War Eagle 83. . I am reticent to point out that the day of the good “airline” flying job is over . . finito. . . done. The good ole days are just that. History. Look at the folks who worked 30+ years at the majors and now their nice retirement is either in jeopardy or GONE! Can you say: “Welcome to WalMart, shoppers” . .retired wide body captain? A least there is more dignity to that than “Do you want fries with that?”.

The future (at least for the piloting profession) is in cargo. If you hadn’t noticed -FedEx and UPS are making money hand over fist and will likely continue to do so. The Big Brown boys negotiated a pretty decent contract last time around. ALPA/FedEx is having a little harder time of it, since for the last 3+ decades we tried to convince management to compare us to the majors. NOW. . . management is taunting the negotiators with that. Opps! Now, we don’t want to be “just like UAL”.

While a big pay raise would be nice, knowing you will have a job until you retire and THEN collect that promised retirement is MUCH more critical in the equation. ALSO. . flying freight at night makes Scheduling and work rules MUCH more important. . and SCOPE is probably (or should be) at the top of the list. SCOPE can hose your whole career! Behind a merger and bankruptcy.

Former Fr8Puke