Thread: CAL MEC Update
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Redeye Pilot
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2010

ALPA pilots are expected to read, understand and follow the ALPA code of ethics. Part of that code addresses personal behavior and the responsibilities that we, as pilots, have in conducting ourselves in a professional manner fitting of an ALPA pilot. It is well known that off-hours during the BOD include social hours and time for camaraderie. This casual interaction is an important component of learning to work together and forming the bonds of trust necessary to tackle difficult and potentially divisive issues faced by our union. However, when other airlines suggested at the BOD that I advise particular reps to stay away from their hospitality suites due to “extensive partying behavior,” I think it reflects badly on all Continental pilots and causes harm to our purpose. It is critical to be able to self monitor our behavior in a professional setting, or in any setting, for that matter. I will say that I sympathized with the hospitality suite hosts’ dilemma; I too am sick and tired of late night phone calls from the incoherent.

Over the past two weeks, I have been reminded that dirty politics are not limited to the federal, state or local governments. So for those who think they “won” this week, I respectfully submit this cold, hard fact: no pilot from the world’s largest airline holds a national officer position within ALPA – mission accomplished. For those involved, truth and integrity don’t matter; pushing their personal vendettas does.

As I mentioned at the start of my brief, it is not my style to air dirty laundry or to travel the low road. There are times when the truth is simply such that the high road is not available and laying out the facts is mired in muck. I want to thank the seven reps and five secretaries-treasurer who worked hard to combat the mistruths and who supported me. This week, the BOD ended and tomorrow we go back to the real work of fighting for our pilots. My term of office will end this coming March. Considering the relationship between the entire MEC and the IAH reps, some change is obviously necessary. The situation cannot remain as it is. What will remain is my full and complete commitment to obtaining for this pilot group the best possible JCBA and SLI possible, regardless of my position as either MEC Chairman or as a line pilot. Further, my promise and commitment to my fellow ALPA pilots to remain a pilot and not go to management has never wavered. I am first, foremost and always an ALPA pilot.

One Union. One Voice.

Capt. Jay Pierce
CAL MEC Chairman

NEGOTIATING UPDATE
The Joint Negotiating Committee (JNC) crafted a compensation proposal this week that recognizes the value of the pilots’ contributions to the synergies of the merged United Airlines. The compensation proposal, while yet to be passed to management, would provide the 12,500 United pilots with industry-leading compensation. The JNC proposal has been briefed to the respective MECs of Continental and United. The JNC is continuing to finalize the remaining joint collective bargaining agreement (JCBA) proposals for its next meeting with the Company the week of Oct. 25.

Committee contact: [email protected]
.org • 281-987-3636 • U

DO 888-990-4227