View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 08:18 AM
banger

Originally Posted by ChrisH
Another piece of info. that may help clear some things up; I live in the South. Living expenses here are less than most other parts of the country. An $80K salary here, may be 'worth' more than a $100K salary in other parts of the country. I do realize living expenses are much more in other parts of the country, and that is something I need to keep in mind. Some of the salaries you all are listing are very good salaries in the South, while it may not be in the Northeast, for example.
Also keep in mind besides the training is that a pilot is always one violation or medical burp from a career ender. And the age 60 retirement is hugh (although maybe not for long). My brother-in-law is a pharmicist and thinks I make a lot. Then I explain I must stop working at age 60 and he can continue till he is 80 yrs. Those last 20 years are his highest earnings and most productive while I must stop or find another career starting at the bottom again. A pilot's earning years are so much shorter than your average worker especially when you figure in the early year pay as a commuter then the top end getting cut off by furlough, medical, or age 60 manditory retirement.
I don't think the total earning capacity of a professional pilot is all that good.