View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 01:18 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by josestolemycow View Post
What qualifies under section 4? I am currently working on my commercial licence, and an aviation degree. I think it may qualify, but I'm not sure.
If it were that easy, they would just come out and say so. That clause exists to allow the FAA some discretion, but they may not even use it. Someone affiliated with a dispatcher training program could tell you.

COMM training has nothing to do with dispatch. They want you to have experience in an organization where dispatch is a formal and legal part of flight operations, ie 121 or military. CarbHeat-Gas-Undercarriage-Mixture-Props-Seatbelts really doesn't give you any insight into those operations.

Originally Posted by josestolemycow View Post
Finally, what other things out there can help boost my resume? I want to start applying for internships, and I want to make it the best that it can be. Thanks!
4-year degree and quality flight time: ME, IMC, Turbine, XC, 135, CFI, etc

An internship is golden...but DO NOT waste it at a regional. Do one at a major if at all possible. It's pretty easy to get hired by a regional.

Dispatch and A&P don't mean much in the airline world, if you had both most regional airlines would still rather hire a guy with 100 more ME than you.

A&P is helpful, even vital, for certain types of 91/135 jobs, specifically Bush/Alaska flying.