View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 10:22 PM
ChrisH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by banger
Also keep in mind besides the training is that a pilot is always one violation or medical burp from a career ender. And the age 60 retirement is hugh (although maybe not for long). My brother-in-law is a pharmicist and thinks I make a lot. Then I explain I must stop working at age 60 and he can continue till he is 80 yrs. Those last 20 years are his highest earnings and most productive while I must stop or find another career starting at the bottom again. A pilot's earning years are so much shorter than your average worker especially when you figure in the early year pay as a commuter then the top end getting cut off by furlough, medical, or age 60 manditory retirement.
I don't think the total earning capacity of a professional pilot is all that good.
I do understand that. Many people, however, do not continue to work to the age of 80, or even close, especially in career fields like pharmacy, where pay is very good from the beginning.

Also, the age limit is 60 as far a retirement from flying for the airlines, but if I understand correctly, this age 60 rule does not apply to corporate or charter pilots. Corporate pilots can make six figure salaries, especially if they fly for a large company, and still fly past the age of 60. Also, I know someone who flew for a major, and retired a number of years ago. He now flies charter for a local charter company.

The above brings to mind; this thread has focused primarily on airline pilots, but what about charter and corporate pilots? Many of them make as much or more than airline pilots, and start making a good bit more. Someone on this board mentioned that he flies a King Air 200, right seat, about 200 hours per year, and makes a good bit more than a regional FO. A good friend of mine got a job flying C210s, and he was making more than a regional FO, however, he left that job to go fly for Eagle. There are good pilot jobs out there, outside of the airline industry, that can pay very well, and allow you to work past age 60. I am no saying these jobs are abundant, but they are there. There are other routes than the airlines, if it really is that bad to some of you.