Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
FAA Set to Raise
Retirement Age
For Pilots to 65
By ANDY PASZTOR
December 11, 2006; Page A3

Finalizing new regulations could take 18 months or more, but FAA lawyers are mulling over whether to apply the new standard to currently retired pilots between 60 and 65, according to one person familiar with the process. Seniority rules could make it extremely difficult to make any change retroactive.
Do I want the age limit to change...NO! Will it happen? More than likely. BUT...nothing happens in this country without a lot of debates, studies and long winded discussions not to mention all the paper pushing that has to be done.

Problem is that the 58 and 59 yr old guys want something to happen tomorrow but in reality this change is years away from happening.

I hope that the FAA sets a 'future effective date' so pilots can plan ahead and companies can have better forecasting/staffing info. And second, I don't think the older folks are going to like the new Class 1 medical standards if you do want to stay around longer.

I do not know the process first hand but once you notify your employer you are retiring, process the paperwork and start collecting benefits, it doesn't seem like you could 'un-retire' and go back to the line if the age limit is increased. Comments...

Good luck!

Last edited by PurpleTail; 12-11-2006 at 08:22 AM.