View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 AM
MaydayMark
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD-11 Captain

I've owned several Mac laptops over the years. Most recently I purchased the (first generation) MacBook Air. When I bought it, Apple had not yet introduced their 13" MacBook Pro. I wish I owned a 13" MacBook Pro instead...

MacBook Air pro's:

- VERY lightweight
- reasonably durable (has been beat up in my backpack, still looks/operates like new)
- enough processing power (1.86Ghz I think?)

MacBook Air cons:

- No DVD drive (that's partly how they make it so thin and lightweight, an external matching Apple DVD drive costs $79)

- NO Ethernet port (so you can't plug in your hotel room Internet cable). It does have an easy to connect wireless card and Apple sells a USB/Ethernet converter ($25?)

That said, the NEW MacBook Air is a lot of computer for $1000. I like the new 11" size. It makes me wonder why anyone would buy a new MacBook?

iPad thoughts ... I've thought for some time that the current version iPad was a beta version they rushed out in time for last Xmas. I suspect the next version might have a camera/phone/print app. It might be worth the waiting to see what improvements Apple offers in a newer version.

Last edited by MaydayMark; 12-02-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling police