View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 12:34 PM
cobber
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Challenger 604

Originally Posted by daniel10 View Post
Hi,

I am scheduled for a CL-604 initial at Flight Safety in JAN, I think it will probably be in Wilmington(?) (Near PHL). If anybody has any tips or advice it will be appreciated!

The 604 will be pretty easy if you've been flying the CRJ. I went through Bombardier training in Dallas about 4 months ago and they had a guy come through with 10 years in the CRJ so they cut the course from 19 days down to 10. If you can get your hands on the systems training manual before you go it would probably benefit you. From my understanding the CRJ systems are very similar except for the fuel. The 604 carries 20,000lbs of gas and has a tail tank and 2 saddle tanks in the back which dont require any pilot intervention to manage unless something goes very wrong. Its missing the fuel and pneumatic pages from the EICAS that the CRJ has as well. Not sure if you guys had Precision Plus at the airline or were approved for VNAV but its pretty cool to be able to do it in the 604. I flew the jungle jet and the Honeywell Primus 1000 cant hold a candle to this Collins system.

The airplane is pretty straight forward with only a few oddities. The first is the strange nose low approach angle which should be pretty familiar to you. Hard to get used to if you've flown any other swept wing jet though. The other is the V1 cuts. The airplane really wants to depart the side of the runway unless you use "A LOT" of aileron to back up your rudder inputs. Kick a$$ a/c otherwise cant wait for our 605!

Last edited by cobber; 12-09-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: O