View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 05:18 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by PearlPilot View Post
I am excited to say that I will be taking my checkride in less than a week. Needless to say my adrenaline is already up and running and I am in full flight mode. I have been flying ILS approaches pretty good. GPS approaches are made easy on the G430 and I have many times flown the VOR-A approach that I will probably be doing on that day. I have two concerns about the checkride and one is holding patterns. Thanks for the previous thread, I will review everything and try to make the best out of it. Needless to say, I am not a big fan of holding patterns The next concern I have is about busting minimums. Being so focused on staying at altitude, for an example, leveling off at MDA (on a VOR-A) and scanning for the runway at 1200 MSL, if I stared at the altimeter I make a power change, uh oh, now am descending, so I add power and if I didn't lower the nose and reduce power I am going to go over 1300 ft. and I do this over and over. This is definitely not something I want to do on the checkride. I want to lock in a power setting, trim, and make minor adjustments. I have done everything I can so hopefully it goes well. The good news is that I am doing it with the same DPE as for my PPL so hopefully I will be at ease. Any checkride tips for and tips for not busting minimums are highly appreciated.
I have a piece of advice for you Don't get locked into a pattern and be ready for other approaches.

I practiced the checkride route so many times I could do it in my sleep when I took my checkride. ILS and BC at OKC, NDB at Guthrie and VOR-A at Stillwater (IIRC). EVERYONE said that this was what the DE flew. The day comes for the checkride and the weather is questionable. Turns out we went east instead of south ILS at TUL, NDB at Cushing, and yes....the VOR-A at Stillwater. It was a great feeling!

Good luck PP!

USMCFLYR