View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

On ILS you get to the DA and then you decide if you see the runway or else go missed.

In contrast, on a non-precision approach don't get into the trap of looking at the plate to remind yourself when the missed is coming and cruise right through the MDA and crash. Wait until AFTER you have leveled off at 100" above it to do your missed approach plate look. If you should spot the runway then you do not need the missed approach anyway, and if you do not see the runway environment then level off THEN look at the plate and THEN descend the last few feet of altitude. It has been shown that pilots will cruise right through an MDA when looking away from the instruments at a plate trying to find where the missed starts. Several crashes have been attributed to this.

As for holds, if you can't remember all the rules for winds just do your best using common sense. I remember on my IFR ride I was told to hold at a fix determined by the intersection of a back localizer and DME fix. It was all I could do to find the fix and I had no idea how to tack for crosswinds because nobody had trained me in that. So I did two VERY sloppy laps around the hold and my examiner said good enough and that was all I had to do. Ideally you should memorize all the tricks and try and apply them, holds are much easier that way. I was rather miserable for 5 years doing holds on IPCs until one day I finally learned all the tricks for doing holds properly and then it clicked for me there is a science to it.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 12-15-2010 at 05:46 PM.