View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Ewfflyer
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

My techniques and advice are Just Don't Screw Up.

With that said, here's my advice towards MDA's. You're allowed -0/+100. So wouldn't it make sense to level off at +50??? Now, another aspect is you should know within 50RPM how much power it will take to maintain level flight at 90kts(which I'm guessing you'll be using). So at 100ft to MDA, you should've already had the aircraft trimmed for 90kts, simply add power slowly to arrest your descent, and there you go. Use pitch movements to fine tune.

Holds, well they are what they are. You just really have to develope your own techniques and mindset on which is better given a situation where you have more than one option. Winds are the biggest factor for me, then simplicity is second. Simple tear drop is great, but if the wind is going to push you through your inbound, I would've went parallel.

Expect the unexpected. I have a DPE in the office next door, and he loves to throw people out of their element. Too many CFI's prep their students for just the approaches they think the examiner is going to give you. Doesn't do you any good when you leave that airport, so he takes them to surrounding airports for that reason.

Finally, just take a really good look at the PTS, that is exactly what is going to be asked of you. They can't just pull something out of a hat and make you do it.

Good luck, let us know how it goes