Old 12-20-2010, 03:22 PM
contrails
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

In a way I am GLAD this thing is FUBAR.

This is what they get for outsourcing so much they can't even control the final product anymore (hmm...that sounds a lot like all major air carriers except SWA doesn't it?).

Now they are like cats in a litterbox, scurrying around trying to cover up their mess but it is so spread out they might have to dump and start over. Wow.

It sounds like whatever savings they thought they would obtain from outsourcing, they have completely lost. I guess you only make that mistake once, because if they ever do this again, they'll be out of business.

I hope they make the right move -- and it sounds like that move could be what Bucking Bar and HSLD have posted above: simply starting doing it themselves again.

After taking a VIP tour on the factory floor in Everett, donning the shoe covers and crawling around in 747s, 767s, and 777s that were in various stages of production from green sheet metal to one 777 that was in the final hours until heading to the paint shop, I was blown away by the craftsmanship that appears to go into building these machines. It is imperative to have experienced, qualified people building them, even if they seem a bit overpaid. As Boeing is finding out the hard way, they are worth the extra coin.