Old 01-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Bellanca
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: CFI/II/MEI
Default Reg change for logging PIC while with a CFI?

I have been told that the regs have changed in the 2011 FAR's regarding being able to log PIC time while with an instructor and logging dual received.

To make a long story short, I recently started renting a plane from a local FBO and beginning my CFI training (part 61). When I've gone on a couple of flights in their 172 to get checked out and learn to fly from the right seat the CFI refused to let me log it as PIC. He said due to a change in the regs only one person can log PIC - either me or him - and since he was logging it as PIC I am unable to do so. In the past I was always taught that as long as I was rated and had the proper endorsements both myself and the CFI could log the flight as PIC.

I decided to look it up in the regs for myself which left me even more confused. I found that there were indeed some changes to 61.51, but it seems vague whether logging PIC while with an instructor is allowed or not in my situation.

New regs:

(iv) When the pilot performs the duties of pilot in command while under the supervision of a qualified pilot in command provided—
(A) The pilot performing the duties of pilot in command holds a commercial or airline transport pilot certificate and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft being flown, if a class rating is appropriate;
(B) The pilot performing the duties of pilot in command is undergoing an approved pilot in command training program that includes ground and flight training on the following areas of operation—
( 1 ) Preflight preparation;
( 2 ) Preflight procedures;
( 3 ) Takeoff and departure;
( 4 ) In-flight maneuvers;
( 5 ) Instrument procedures;
( 6 ) Landings and approaches to landings;
( 7 ) Normal and abnormal procedures;
( 8 ) Emergency procedures; and
( 9 ) Postflight procedures;
(C) The supervising pilot in command holds—
( 1 ) A commercial pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate, and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category, class, and type of aircraft being flown, if a class or type rating is required; or
( 2 ) An airline transport pilot certificate and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category, class, and type of aircraft being flown, if a class or type rating is required; and
(D) The supervising pilot in command logs the pilot in command training in the pilot's logbook, certifies the pilot in command training in the pilot's logbook and attests to that certification with his or her signature, and flight instructor certificate number.

Part B says that the 'student' must be "undergoing an approved pilot in command training program," so does this mean a 141 or other formal training program where an FAA approved syllabus allows the time to be logged as PIC? So therefore because I'm informally training (just learning to fly from the right seat, and practicing maneuvers), not necessarily even finishing my rating with this CFI or at this location, does that mean I cannot log the time as CFI?

Then part D says the supervising pilot in command (CFI in my case) certifies the PIC training in the logbook. Could this mean that it is up to the CFI's discretion whether to let me log it as PIC or not? Is this a place where a CFI could potentially 'screw' (for lack of a better word) students out of PIC time?

What are other CFI's doing and how do you interpret that? And is there an official interpretation showing that someone like myself that is somewhat informally working on a rating can log that time as both PIC and Dual Received? (I realize that the airlines and other employers may not actually 'count' this time as PIC, and I'm not worried about that at the moment, I'm just concerned with the legality of logging the time as PIC with the apparent change in regs). Or is there a different part of the regs other than 61.51 that makes logging this time illegal now according to the 2011 regs?