Thread: SWA vs FedEx
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 04:15 AM
FedElta
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Retired, again...

Originally Posted by Delta1067 View Post
I read in ALPA magazine a few years ago that the average FedEx pilot only draws retirement for a few years and it tracked a couple decades of statistics. Consider that. Night flying really takes it's toll. To me it wasn't worth the extra money they pay. I was never a SWA fan so I never applied. Good luck landing either, it's a long shot.
Hey Boogie & Delta 1067,

I don't believe the tracked statistics were for actual FedEx pilots...they were for night workers in another group. FedEx, and airline pilots in general, are in better health, and take better care of themselves than average.

Night flying is easier in many ways, but harder physically. FedEx schedules allow generous time off and the best vacation that I know of. You have to be prudent enough to take advantage of the time off to recuperate, and not chase megabucks.

It is commonly misunderstood that all Fedex flying is at night....around 40% is daytime opns......but junior folks will fly at night more, but have more days off than daytime flyers.

I spent 30 years at FedEx, so I'm familiar with the operation.....Great pay, A plan, B plan, 401K, wide variety of flying, excellent maintenance, huge money invested in technology to benefit flight crews,great vacation, etc.

In spite of some sniping here about taxi speeds, I have always heard great things about SWA. Every SWA guy I talked to, loves their job.
Smart management,excellent work rules, and currently the leader in legacy pilot compensation, although I hope Big D will assume that position in 2012.

In the early career years ,SWA pay will exceed FedEx pay for 10-15 years depending on the assumption used. After that, FedEx pulls ahead nicely, with a very substantial total retirement package.

I believe SWA intends to incorporate AT international destinations, and pursue limited expansion in some international markets, so the variety of SWA flying will probably improve.

These two carriers are currently the among the very best flying positions in the world, IMHO, however the future can change as fast as world events.

I currently know one SWA pilot deciding to stay, or go to FedEx, and one pilot having to decide on SWA or FedEx.....two very good alternatives, but a very complex and difficult decision.

Best of luck to all,
BG