Thread: SWA vs FedEx
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 AM
johnso29

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B757/767

Originally Posted by satchip View Post
Opinion: The cargo carriers will be adversely affected by technology far quicker than the passenger carriers. We already have the ability to fly large aircraft remotely. I think it's only a matter of time before you see cargo operations over oceans and not populated areas like Shanghai to ANC be flown with one pilot or none. It will take many more years for the flying public to accept that. If you are looking at 10 plus years go to SWA.

Look how long it's taken to get new rest rules. I think it'll be 40-50 years before we see it at all in the civilian world. A lot of these cargo ops are very cheap. Can't see them willing to invest in that kind of technology. JMO.

Originally Posted by eric841 View Post
That seems logical, but don't a lot of the cargo carriers still use an engineer? Is this just for the older planes? I am guessing that it is just cheaper to operate the older equipment with 3 crew than upgrading the fleet. I could see an eventual shift to 1 pilot in your scenario though.
Many cargo outfits have made a lot of their old airplanes 2 pilot airplanes. The FE position is dying.