Old 01-09-2011, 06:45 AM
bcrosier
Eats shoots and leaves...

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Didactic Synthetic Aviation Experience Provider

Ready . . . in three, two, one . . .

I see you're new here, so I'll try and jump in before others pile on you. If you use the search function, you will find there are MANY threads here on this basic topic.

I'll save you a few hours of reading and summarize:

Don't go to either of these schools (unless UND happens to be in state for you). Almost every state has a college with a decent aviation program. Go to whatever one is in state (unless you can get a huge grant or scholarship elsewhere), major in something else (so you have viable career options outside of aviation in case things don't work out for some reason, or you have a change of heart later), take the ground courses as a minor, and fly where ever it's least expensive.

Airlines really don't care what you're degree is in or what school you went to, as long as it's a well accredited school - again virtually any state school will fill this bill nicely. DO NOT buy into the hype about any particular school.

Unless things change a lot in the next six years or so (which is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it), you will be spending a lot of time earning very little after you graduate college. You're going to have to have your ATP before you can get on at a regional, and building that first thousand hours of time is typically difficult and pays very little. Even once you reach a regional, you're going to earn lousy wages for several years. Conserving any money you may have and/or minimizing your debt will give you flexibility you will need to seize opportunities which may present themselves.

Also, for heavens sake do not get married or worse yet start a family (unless your wife is independently wealthy and extremely indulgent of your desires - again, don't bet on that one).

You can also search on here and find about a thousand threads discouraging anyone from entering this profession at this juncture, but that's another topic you can peruse at another time.

Last edited by bcrosier; 01-09-2011 at 07:02 AM.