Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Ottopilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: 737 CA

I'll second everything said. I've hired ERAU grads and they are not better pilots. The only difference between them and any other pilot, is that the ERAU pilot "thinks" they are better. Your flight instructor at riddle is a student who's been there a year or two more than you. Is that who you want to learn from? My first instructor had 30,000 hours TT.

ERAU is a fine school, BUT it is NOT worth the price.

1. Go to a normal college with girls and football. Get a non-aviation degree. Something that you can make money with as you struggle as a pilot would be good.
2. Get your flight training done at the local airport. Part 91 or 141 doesn't matter.
3. Get all your ratings through CFII/MEI. Don't focus on G1000 vs. steam or its cruising speed. Fly the cheapest thing you can. 1 hour TT is 1 hour TT, no one cares what you fly. A C150 is just fine. You will need multi-time eventually, that is different.
4. Take any flying job anywhere. Instructor, bush, traffic watch, banner tow, etc. You need time, don't be picky. For example: "I want to stay in California", but the jobs are in Texas. Go anywhere.
5. Network.

I've been an instructor, corportate pilot, regional pilot, and major airline pilot. I have every airplane rating and 7 type ratings. I have 14,000 hours. I soloed on my 16th birthday. I was 39 when hired at a major. I live in a cheap house and drive a car worth $1000. I have debt and no savings. Learn from my mistakes. It's not an easy career.

I wouldn't do anything else though. Good luck.