View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 06:13 AM
AirMillennium
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2011
Default Advise on PPL, Instrument Rating and CPL

Hello,

I need some help to understand the structural specifics of the flying process with final aim getting a CPL. I started getting more familiar with most of the commonly flown airplanes, also with all general VFR and IFR requirements, etc a few years ago. I currently don't possess a PPL but would like to get one and proceed on the way to a commercial pilot.

I have the target but what I wish to know to properly understand where I stand and where possibly I am going is mostly related to age. I am almost 30 and still don't have the initial point - a PPL. Can I even hope that provided everything goes smoothly I still have whatever chances of becoming a professional pilot let's say by 35 and could possibly work in this field?

I know many people start quite early and by the age of 30 they have PPL, instrument rating, etc. Well, I seriously consider possible career in the flying industry as I have been studying the instrument panels and controls, as well as "flying" on many aircrafts, together with the general flight, ATC and any other applicable rules by myself mostly (through various CBT materials, computer simulators, books, etc.). I know that this is as much as nothing and this is why I need a professional advice:

1. Is 29 too late to start developing in this field?
2. Are there any chances of getting a CPL within a period of 5 years (considering that everything goes as expected);
3. Is there a maximum accepted age for starting developing in this field and what are the options of being accepted as a CL pilot at 35 for example?

I apologise for the long post and will be grateful for any real life information that could assist me in understanding the career path of a CPL pilot. Most importantly, it will shed more light upon my own future plans! Thanks in advance!