View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 06:46 AM
Jetjok
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Boy, do you want to know everything, or what?

First off, there’s no such thing as a normal flying schedule at FedEx, and I suspect the same thing for UPS. The reason I say this is that the saying “different strokes for different folks” is such a big player here. For guys who live in domicile, there is the possibility of rarely working. They bid reserve, and during non-peak times, spend most of their time around the home front. During peak season, they’re gone (probably) much more, up to and including the number of reserve days in their line. However, some of those days could just be some out and backs (leave domicile, fly to some out-station or two, or three, and then return to domicile) and then go to sleep in your own bed, until you’re again scheduled to fly. Then there are the guys who live in domicile, but still like to fly and so they do their (basically) 2 weeks away a month. Then you have your commuters, those who don’t live in domicile. Again, their needs and desires vary. Some like double deadheads, trips that start and end out of domicile. At the beginning of their trip, the get on a commercial flight, bus, train, or limo, and get to the out-station where their trips starts. At the end of their flying they do the same in reverse to get home. Others enjoy flying into base on FedEx equipment and then start their line of flying.

Seniority is the driving key in the airline industry, and even one or two seniority numbers can make an entire world of difference, not only with your monthly schedule, but with your life. As an example, look at the last guy to be furloughed from (pick an airline). Now, look at the guy just above that guy. He’s still flying and his family is still being cared for. The other guy has to fend for himself. This is a gross example, but is a valid one, if only to make the point of how different things are on the seniority scale.

Do you have to move to your domicile? FedEx used to ask all pilot candidates if they planned to move to Memphis. Everyone said “Yes”, and then once hired, maybe 60% actually did the move. Now, however, the greater majority lives out of domicile. However, having said that, if I were starting a new family, or had small children or a spouse who required a lot of attention, I’d try to live in the town where I were based. It’s sooooo much easier, both on them (your family) and on you. There’s much more diverse flying in base; you have a larger support mechanism in place (in other pilots and wives and kids, and corporate knowledge about the surrounding area and how to get something done, and where to get it done, etc.) Will you like it there, well that’s another question, but without doubt, it makes for a much better quality of life, especially in the beginning when you’re junior. Later on, as you acquire seniority, you can decide for yourself.

What scheduling/bid strategies help families most? - Again, everyone is different, and for a little while anyway, you won’t be in control of your schedule. Use this time to figure what’s going to work best for you and your family.

What steps can one take to make the lifestyle positive for young kids (i.e., activities, traditions, communication on the road, etc)? - Take this with a grain of salt. Memphis is a very religious town. There’s a church on virtually every corner. If you’re into that lifestyle, you will have plenty of opportunities to meet lots of like-minded parents with similar values to yours. If you’re not into the church scene, there’s always the YMCA for youth sporting events, etc. Little league, T-ball, junior football, etc, etc. As for being on the road, for myself, I call home every day, no matter where I’m at. Sometimes, multiple times, just to say hello. With cell phones capable of calling from anywhere in the world, there’s no reason to not stay in touch.

6-How does one best lighten the burden of "solo-parenting" on their wife? - One way is to talk your girlfriend into going over and helping your wife out with her chores. Seriously, I don’t know how you’d “lighten the burden of solo-parenting”, except maybe bidding reserve to be home as much as possible, or maybe bidding those out and backs that fly in the middle of the night, but get back about the time the kids are going off to school. Another way of course is to not have kids, or if you have them already, you might consider giving them away, at least until you can hold the type of flying that will relieve your wife of her burden. Another method that is employed by some of our guys who love to say they “fly for FedEx”, but really hate to be away from home, is to get into the training department or a management job. These guys have the best of all worlds, making a ton of money and spending almost every night in their own bed.

At what time horizon does a new hire start to realize the benefit of seniority and get into the "groove" of balancing family and cargo flying? - Seniority starts accruing the day you start working, and if things continue the way they have, it won’t be long before you’re enjoying life. A friend of mine started work in October and now has almost 200 guys below him. As well, each person handles this job differently, based on so many varied things, that it’s difficult to say how long it will take you to get into the groove. Some never “get in the groove”, so seems to have been born there.

The key is to get onboard somewhere, and as soon as possible. Good luck in that quest.

As a side note, I had written this post up a few hours ago but hadn't finished it and I had to run out and do my annual full body CT Scan. All came back fine.