View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 07:10 AM
koz2000
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: Airbus F/O

Like Bitme said many are up to the individual. But here's my take on things.

1-Do the many days off allow a flying father to be engaged at home?
Yes, I'm actively involved with my kids. I got used to sleeping some during the day (BLACK OUT BLINDS) so I can catch a nap and am able to eat dinner with the family, do homework with the kids, etc.. Reserve skeds 15 of 28 work days or 19 of 35 are work days.

2-Is "schedule control" a pipe dream or a real asset in helping FEX/UPS families thrive (i.e., in contrast to an erratic schedule in Part 91)?

I flew part 91 in a former life. I can have a lot of comfort knowing where I'll be and when. If on reserve, you only have to answer the phone when you're on. There are a few little things the company can do to slide R-days but that's nothing compared to getting that Part 91 call in the middle of dinner, during a movie, etc..
3-Is a Memphis/Knoxville move necessary for family QOL?

Living in Memphis is nice (or at least as nice as memphis can be) if you're sitting reserve and junior. You'll get a lot of family time even while you're "working." Of course BHM is a higher crime city than MEM. Why do you ask about TYS? There several guys who live there.

4-What scheduling/bid strategies help families most?
Learn by example. My thing, if you can hold any regular line, do so and you'll have an easier time dropping / moving a trip compared to an R-day. You'll screw up some, but everyone has. Seniority Seniority Senority. You'll face the pay vs. QOL when you either want to get out of the back seat, go to a widebody, etc...

5-What steps can one take to make the lifestyle positive for young kids (i.e., activities, traditions, communication on the road, etc)?
That is completely dependant on you and your family. Bring back little trinkets to the kids sometimes helps. If I'm headed home in the morning, I'll sometimes pick up breakfast.

6-How does one best lighten the burden of "solo-parenting" on their wife?
Be the best "single" dad when you are home. Get your rest, tell your wife to take the day off, you'll get the kids to school, run some errands, etc. But don't forget the wife either. Have a date night, take flowers or works for her. Again whatever works for you.

7-At what time horizon does a new hire start to realize the benefit of seniority and get into the "groove" of balancing family and cargo flying?

Depends on you. If you have a sponsor sit with him. Talk to guys who are in your relative senority (a year or so) and see what has/hasn't worked for him. You should have it down in less than a year.

You'll get some info (some bad some good) while flying. Most guys are glad to offer info for what worked for them.