View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 11:57 AM
checknin
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: ANG Trougher

Wow, you've all "watered my eyes" with great advice and encouragement. Thanks!

QOL will depend on whether your wife is happy; does she want to be near her family or not, is she independant or not etc
Point well taken, Bitme. She has a sister in town and an excellent ability (though not necessarily the desire) to operate independently after years as an AF spouse.
Hence life is so much easier living in domicile so we stayed.
Canyonman, How far a commute did you reject to remain in domicile? To your mind, is there a commuting scenario that would have been worth the move (i.e., How close would your town of choice need to be?)
During peak season, they’re gone (probably) much more, up to and including the number of reserve days in their line.
Is there any notable peak apart from the Thanksgiving/Christmas Holiday push?

FedEx used to ask all pilot candidates if they planned to move to Memphis.
Is this still the case?

Jet Jok: I hear you, "DOMICILE and SENIORITY!" Glad I was able to divert you from worrying about the "CT results"--cheers!
Of course BHM is a higher crime city than MEM. Why do you ask about TYS?
BHM crime rate is drastically higher in the city vs. the burbs, just like any other metro area. For us, with a sister-in-law in town AND a local Guard unit, the choice is definitely BHM or domicile
I've commuted my whole ten years at Fedex and have made the choice to wait to upgrade until I was fairly senior.
Hyperone: At 10yrs+, are you getting close to "fairly senior" and a decision to upgrade? In your mind, is "fairly senior" determined by your ability to hold a specific line, and is there a prevalent desire among pilots to stick with a particular bidline month after month?
Also, sounds like double-deadhead is the tool of choice among commuters...true? Skype/Ichat/GoogleEarth...Great stuff!
I live in a mid size southern city. After six months with the company I gave up my crash pad and airport car. I am away from home most months zero nights other months I am gone 10-12 days.
Lag, this is extremely encouraging. How far a commute is your mid-sized southern city and is the double-deadhead in your "bag of tricks" as well?

Also, are the R-24 lines new with the new contract? If so, any predictions as to how those will play out among commuters?
Again, "Thanks" to all of you!