Thread: SR-71 Speed
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 AM
N9373M
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: 127.0.0.1
Default At the risk of Lawyers.............

Here's the text from the book verbatim. Thanks Major Shul for signing both "Sled Driver" (9-Jun-92) and the "Untouchables" for me. They are wonderful books. (6-9-92??? crud, I'm old, but at least I remember the important stuff)

"We were monitoring various radio transmissions from other aircraft as we entered LA Center's airspace. Though they didn't control us, they did monitor our movement across their scope. I heard a Cessna ask for a readout of it's ground speed. 90 knots, Center replied. Moments later a twin beech required the same. 120 Knots, center answered. We weren't the only one proud of our speed that day as almost instantly an F-18 smugly transmitted. Ah, Center Dusty 52 requests groundspeed readout.. There was a slight pause, 525 knots on the ground, Dusty. Another slight pause. As I was thinking to myself how ripe a situation this was I heard the familiar click of a radio transmission coming from my back seater. It was at that moment I realized Walt and I had become a real crew, for we were both thinking in unison. "Center, Aspen 20, you got a ground speed read out for us? There was a longer than normal pause...... Aspen, I show one thousand seven hundred forty two knots. No further inquiries were heard on that freq."