View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 04:21 PM
RJMFlyboi
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2011

Hey guys,

I completely understand where you all are coming from, and let me tell you I really wish I had this information before I even started looking into flying. I am the first member of my family to step into the aviation world, so it was very difficult for me to figure much of anything out.

Let me give you a little background on where I I've been, and perhaps you guys can give some suggestions rather than just straight up telling me to go to a different career.

I attended a flight school that claimed they had the key to success in getting jobs with airlines. They guaranteed once I graduated I would have a job no matter what. (later I came to find out if I didn't get hired by an airline they would higher me as an instructor).

After spending $40,000 on just my Privates and instrument licenses I was unable to attain anymore loans. I than returned home for a year working waiting tables etc. at dead end jobs. Eventually my school called me back letting me know of a new way I could attain additional funding. I would say I was going to attend a PTF job, however I would be able to attain extra money to finish out my training, and then go directly there.

After all's said and done, I'm $150,000 in the hole, no instructor ratings to speak of, no job and only around 600 hours. Reading what you gentleman have said about PTF I feel I am especially screwed and have no idea how I'm going to be able to pay my loans, let alone get back to flying.

I'm looking into trying to save money and get my instructors ratings (probably through ATP) however, after reading this forum post I'm starting to wonder if I'll even have a future in aviation if all recruiters feel this way.

I'm seeking help and direction if any of you are willing to help.

Thank you for your time,

R