Old 12-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Irish Pilot

Originally Posted by edik
Personally i dont think majoring in aviation is useless. I am currently at UND, and i am getting much better flight education then the people at local FBO's...As for my back up, i am minoring in something outside of aviation, just in case if i were to lose my medical....
My advice would be to NOT major in aviation unless its in mngmnt or something. I am a UND Grad and I can tell you that I have alread seen people fall because of their degree. Many decided to get out of the industry because of how much it can suck right now and they ALL went back to school. You can still fly on the side (or even take flying classes on the side) but I would encourage you to get another education to go with it. Also...so far its been my experience "in the real world" that minors are worthless...so dont plan on that helping much at all...double major if anything. That shows that you were actually interested etc. Not just that you went 80% of the way to try to cover yourself. From what I have seen a minor is only of worth if it supports your major (ie minor in meteorology if you are going to be a aviation grad etc.) Would you want to hire a meteorologist that minored in it? Im sure it happens...but I certainly wouldnt bank on it.

With all due respect to the quote above... its comments like that that make the flight school grads look like aholes in the industry. Like I mentioned I am a UND grad..and Im glad to say that I spent college flying airplanes...HOWEVER...once you get into the industry you will find great pilots come from all different backgrounds.

Yes you are getting a great education at UND...and you get to fly great equipment with usually great instructors. HOWEVER...a little modesty goes a long way in this industry. I suggest you refrain from ever making a comment like that again. Its just embarrassing. In fact I would probably avoid making suggestions like that until you are out into the industry and you see how things finally work.

Ive been to UND...I know what they tell you about the industry...its not exactly accurate kid.