Old 12-09-2005, 06:18 PM
daytonaflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Jump
Default An aviation degree is as good as most others

The people who are saying an aviation degree is worthless are incorrect. I started college at the University of Oregon, studying non-aviation related subjects. I later transferred to ERAU and graduated with an aviation degree.
I can tell you first hand that the classes and professors at ERAU were so much better than at the U of O. The students studied harder and more often. The students attended their classes all the time, unlike at the public university where it was regular to have 150 students in a class and only 30 would show up, except for on test days.
The social scene at ERAU was poor, but the education was good.
I got out of aviation for a while after 9/11 and had no trouble finding a job with my degree. Most employers don't really care what degree you have unless it's required for certification ie. accounting, medical, education degrees. As long as you have a bachelors, you are okay. Work experience is what they really want to see.
Now if you are already studying at a non-aviation university, a bachelors from that will be just fine. It will probably save you a lot of money.
If an aviation degree is worthless, you can also say that a business degree is worthless because there are so many people out there that have them; they're a dime-a-dozen and employers could really care less if you have a degree in business admin.