Old 12-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Irish Pilot

Originally Posted by edik
Irish Pilot,

I guess I see where you are coming from about the whole degree thing. I just dont know what to double major in, i guess i can pick up airport management. I am minoring in Russian, i know thats really not going to do much for me, but I just like the language. I have a question for you, so it does not matter if I went to Aviation school or some other school, people are still going to look at me the same way? Because i much rather be flying back home where there is sun all year round. For the most part I chose UND for it name in the industry and that they offered russian.

Edik

PS it says that you are in CA, where at in California you are at?
121 CA stands for a 121 airline Captain If you go into your profile the option is actually called "Aircraft & Seat:" not "Location:" I didnt notice that until now lol and obviously neither have many others

I dont necessarily want to turn you away from UND. I absolutely had the time of my life there and would still reccommend it to anyone. You can major in many things other than Commercial Av (Av mngmnt etc.) or many things outside of flying and still take the flight classes. UND is a great school outside of flying and there are many great opportunities there. If you do think you are better suited at home so be it! Make sure to get a 4 year degree whatever you do...and yes minor in Russian! If its something you love its an excellent choice and being bilingual shows that you have the ability to learn and look at things in several dimensions.

I think flying is what you make of it...instructors will have great influence over your training yes...but the best students I had as an instructor were those who took it upon themselves to be better. I would tell them to study one chapter...they would re-read the previous 3 as well. Just work hard. I have had the pleasure working in a 121 environment with many pilots that trained at the local FBO and many were great pilots. You will find just as many good/bad pilots at a university as you would at an FBO...it depends far more on the person than the environment.

As far as ERAU I cannot comment. I have flown with many top notch pilots and people from Riddle as well as idiots. The reason I didnt go to Riddle was that I wanted a more well rounded education and UND has 12ooo students with 2ooo pilots as to ERAU being just a flight school. At und you will get to watch a Division 1 National Champion hockey team and a Division 2 basketball/football National Champion team among other things (the GREAT Greek system!).

The point is...being a good pilot is a LOT more than the school you go to. The great thing about flying is YOU have the responsibility of being a good pilot! If you want to go to a "flight school" ie University go for it and work hard while you are there! If you want to stay near home get a 4yr degree and work hard to fly on the side. Either (there are MANY more options obviously) of these two will get you to the same place. Certainly DO NOT feel that you have to go to a University to get connected to the industry. I will be honest however...you will graduate from a University most likely knowing many many other pilots that will spread themselves throughout the industry. This gives you great resources...I know pilots in just about every aspect of flying that I have kept in contact with and good friends have lined me up with just about EVERY flying job I have had so far.

Work hard, support your fellow pilots, and keep your eye on the big picture and you will be just fine in this industry-world. Its not a competition..we are all going for the same goal here.

Last edited by Irish Pilot; 12-09-2005 at 06:55 PM.