Old 12-09-2005, 08:52 PM
flyinhigh6165
Lineholder

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: CRJ CAPTAIN/LCP

I ended up recieving a B.S. in aeronautical science and a double minor in aviation safety and weather at ERAU. We had great professors from the military and from the airlines working there. One pro would be they keep the classes interesting and they are always there if you need a letter of rec. The training was excellent but you do get some runaround. Social life is what you make out of it. I know companies that use a point system when hiring and if you have an aviation degree or went to Riddle, Purdue, UND, and Auburn...etc you get another point. I know the training we recieved is a lot better than most of the FBOs i have been to....however, if you do your research their are flight schools that provide excellent training. Downfall as said before is I have loans out of the wazzu. Another pro is our alumni association and career center can help you get a pilot job way easier than if you just go to a small fbo flight school. About half the regionals out there will also offer an interview to you at 600hrs as opposed to 1000 if you come from UND or Riddle (the universities that i know of). Our universirty has strong ties for aviation/engineering related companies..boeing, raytheon, lockheed and NASA to name a few. I am not downing anyone elses training or education but this is just my experience. Just make a pro's and con's list and research the route that is better for you.