Old 12-10-2005, 11:24 AM
flyerNy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

If I were to do it again I would not major in aviation. Though I think its kinda helpful to have in some ways (but too few to be of logical value)- It will not determine you getting a job as a pilot or not. I realize now how not very useful the degree is outside of aviation. ( I left flying (regional) for a real job & am much happier but had to go back to school as a result of my "aviation degree"). Though you may argue the point that most employers look for any degree to hire you (outside aviation), you cannot argue the point that a lot of the "good paying jobs" will not even look at you. (Remember you owe it to yourself to treat your life as an investor would a portfolio - what is risky, what is smart.)
When (or If - but mainly when) the day comes you decide you want out of this mess that is "Aviation" you will want to get a real job. Go sit down at an interview for an accounting firm and they will ask you - what else can you do besides fly airplanes?
I know a lot of you just getting into aviation don't see the day - but one day you will see that flying for a living is a job. Also, ask many older pilots in the industry, they will tell you how many of their friends are still flying for a living - not many.
And yes - s#$t happens and you can loose you medical I have seen it happen to people!

Diversify - you'll see there is so much out there besides "Flying" and being a "pilot"

Just strictly my personal thoughts about it.