View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 08:33 AM
mike734
New boss = Old boss

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Ca B737

Originally Posted by SkyHigh
\You could also take the advice of the previous guy, but if you are going to be a professional someday then you had better not study at all and drink a dozen beers the night before, then wake up late and show up to the exam in the beer stained clothes that you were in the night before.

A true major airline pilot doesnt study for anything unless they are compensated with hours of pay for the effort. Any UAL pilot will tell you that it is the companies responsibility to insure that the pilots are trained and are able to remember what they are supposed to know. "If the union wanted us to study then they would have paid us for it." UAL pilot

Remember the airlines love incompetence. The entire system is designed to accommodate the lowest common denominator. The development of a smug I don't care attitude is key to a happy career of avoidance and denial. The people who care too much and put in effort usually burn out by watching all the misfits and screw ups skweek through another captain check ride. Don't let that happen to you. When in Rome become a Roman.

Best of Luck,

SKyHigh
Once again your cynical attitude shines through. It is understandable given your disappointing career track. It may explain your inability to fool the folks in HR at interview time. However, I can tell you that the guys I work with are some of the most professional and proud pilots I have ever known. The vast majority come prepared at check ride time. I wish I had their level of commitment. I fall closer to your idea of the typical airline pilot. But I am the exception. (I'm still my favorite captain though)

Their pride is probably the primary reason many are so PO'd by the pay cuts. The level of professionalism and level of pay are no longer commensurate. It is frustrating to many of the smarter people out there.

As for nervousness associated with check rides, the answer is simple. Just try to know more than the check airman. There are only a few times one answer is the only answer. (limitations and memory items for example) Any given problem has more than one solution. Just make sure your solution can be defended. In the end most solutions are a matter of opinion. Yours may be just as correct at the examiners. Bottom line...Just know your stuff.