View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM
hc0fitted
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by PearlPilot View Post
When an aircraft is heavy, clean, and slow, wake turbulence caused by wing tip vortices poses an extreme hazard for aircraft. We all learned that in ground school. Since the illustration in textbooks usually has a large airliner, I always thought this was a phenomenon related only to "big" airplanes right? Suppose you are flying a 172, and can prop blast and wake turbulence of another 172 (say on final approach) be a hazard on a calm day? As a student pilot on a cross country, a Saab 340 departed and the tower warned me about wake turbulence from the departing Saab. I though it was interesting. So I executed a textbook take off and rotated prior to the Saab's rotation point. Only yesterday a Diamond Eclipse Jet took off and the tower immediately gave me clearance to go (while the baby jet was lifting off). Hmm...I said I need about a minute for the wake to dissipate. The tower acknowledged (with a slight hint of a chuckle) "no problem, just let me know when you are ready." I felt a little silly, but as a PIC it is ultimately my responsibility so you can laugh at me all you want, I thought. If a 747 took off, well then it's a different story. All in all, I have to admit, I am a little confused here at least when it comes to wake turbulence and "small" planes. Does it exist to such an extent as to pose a threat?
Well to be short the wake defiantly still exist in small planes. Of course the bigger the aircraft the more pronounced the wake is going to be. Is the wake from a little VLJ going to be enough to really create a hazard? Hmmmmm probably not. I do totally agree with you you are the PIC and it was your decision to hold on and wait, and who cares if the controller thought it was silly ? I personally am not really concerned with wake turbulence coming off anything smaller than a mid size jet: falcons challengers regionals jets etc...