View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 AM
atpwannabe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher
Default Disqualifed For Initial Medical

Good morning:

On Tuesday, March 15, 2011, @ approx 3:52 pm in the afternoon, I got a call from the HIMS AME in Vero Beach, FL, XXX XXX, who was willing to sponsor me in the HIMS program told me that although I had met all of the criteria that the FAA had set for the conditions of the HIMS program, that I would still be denied a medical because the FAA said that I had an anti-social personality disorder. This is in spite of the recommendations of two HIMS evaluators, Dr. XXX XXX and Dr. XXX XXX, a neuro-psychologist and a neuro-psychiatrist respectively, that I be medically certified, 3rd class, to start my flight training. Their diagnosis was that any characteristic traits of the personality disorder where non-existant due to my abstinence from alcohol abuse and that with further supervision, I could apply for a higher class medical in 12-16 months. I thought that I was finally on my way.

Dr. XXX informed me that he had been on the phone with the doctors in Washington DC for the last 1 1/2 weeks. This includes XXX and XXX. He said that he posed the question as to why would they allow me to continue on in this process knowing that they would in the end deny me on the basis of an anit-social personality disorder. He said that he got no reasonable answer.

The thing that gets me is that if the doctors in DC knew from the time that I got my initial denial letter from the Federal Air Surgeon in May of 2009 that an anti-social personality disorder was in fact a permanent disqualifer, why was I led to believe that by meeting the criteria for the HIMS SI was all that I needed to do? I have spent the last 3 years of my time, effort and resources pursuing this. I'm considering having an attorney looking into the fact to see if in fact the FAA intentionally mislead me to believe that I would be certified. Every correspondence that I got after the initial denial letter was aimed at the HIMS (SI) process and the criteria that had to met. There was never anything mentioned about antisocial personality disorder and it being a permanent disqualifier. Absolutely nothing.

So, as a long standing member of APC, this will probably be my last post for some time. I wanna thank everyone for their support and advice. For me, aviation has strictly become a hobby. The quest to become a paid pilot is over.

Blue skies.

Marcus
(atpwannabe)

Last edited by atpwannabe; 03-22-2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Good luck... edited out names