View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 09:24 PM
georgetg
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Boeing Hearing and Ergonomics Lab Rat, Night Shift

Originally Posted by forgot to bid View Post
I'm curious what is in a DOT Form 41 (T2 and P-5.2) document. The only thing I see is you download an adobe $700 program and you can see the free download from the DOT.

https://1bts.rita.dot.gov/pdc/user/p...SC,%204%20DESC

I look at those numbers and this is what I wonder, are the numbers skewed because of the extremely small size of the MD90 fleet? Such as we only have 16 aircraft in the fleet of 600 with those particular engines. I realize that the fuel burn of the 738 and 90 are almost identical so once the seating is identical then they should be very similar CASM in fuel numbers alone right?

And this is before we talk acquisition prices which I take it is not included in these numbers? Otherwise it'd be more economical to dump every 88/90/9/737/738 and order 320s as a replacement.
My take is this:

Those CASM are raw data and not adjusted for stage length

You fly a lot of short flights with little planes and your CASMS are high
(extreme example 50seat RJ)

Fly the 744 to the edge of its range and you get the best CASM numbers in the fleet.

My guess is that the chart has numbers for the purchased new MD90s.
No way were they under $30M brand new. The "previously owned" MD90s we're getting are all in $10M. that would put the new MD90s right around $0.06. Adjust for 160 seats and the number goes to $0.056, or about even with the A320 and thats on much shorter stage lengths.

As for the Fleet Renewal RFP issued one thing is clear.

If you're going to order new jets it's obvious which ones the company will buy. The numbers also bear out why the A321 with sharklets will have the super-low CASMs when it becomes available late next year.

Cheers
George