Thread: An Army of One
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 AM
SEA 737
767 CAP

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: 757 / 767 Cap SEA
Default An Army of One

Found this in our cockpit yesterday (UAL). Thought it was great! The author is anonymous but obviously a CAL pilot. I think the UAL guys can add a few bullet points..... Pass it on!

We're all there.....

I am an army of One - A Captain in the Continental Airlines army.

For years I was a loyal soldier in Gordon's army. Now I fight my own war.

I used to feel valued and respected. Now I know I am mere fodder. They (CAL) used to exhibit labor leadership. Now they exploit legal loopholes. They used to enjoy my maximum. Now they will suffer my minimum.
I am an army of One.

I used to save CAL a thousand pounds of fuel per leg; finding the best FL, getting direct routing, throttling back when on time was made, skimping during ground ops, adjusting for winds, being smart and giving the company every effort I could conjure. Now, it's "burn baby, burn". I used to call maintenance while airborne, so the part would be ready at the gate. Now, they will find the write-up when they look in the book. I used to try to fix problems in the system, now I sit and watch as the miscues pile up. I used to fly sick. Now I use my sick days, on short notice, on the worst day of the month.
I am an army of One.

I used to start the APU at the last possible moment. Now my customers enjoy extreme comfort. I used to let the price of fuel at out-stations affect my fuel orders. I still do. I used to cover mistakes by operations. Now I watch them unfold. I used to hustle to ensure an on-time arrival, to make us the best. Now I do it for the rampers and agents who need the bonus money...but this too may change. I used to call dispatch for rerouting, to head off ground delays for bad weather. Now i collect overs, number 35 in line for takeoff.

I am on a new mission - to demonstrate that misguided leadership of indifference & disrespect has a cost. It's about character, not contracts. It's about leading by taking care of your people instead of leadership by bean counters (an oxymoron). With acts of omission, not commission, I am a one-man wrecking crew - an army of One.

My mission used to be to make CAL rich. Now it's to make CAL pay.

When they furlough more pilots than the rest, pilots that cost them 60 cents on the dollar I will make them pay.

When they under-staff bases and over-work reserves to keep pilots downgraded, down-flowed, or downtrodden - I will make them pay.

When over-booked customers are denied boarding system wide, while jets are parked in the desert - I will make them pay.

When they force pilots, who have waited 12 years to become captains, to be FO's again - I will make them pay.

When they ask CAL pilots to show leadership at Express, and then deny them longevity –I will make them pay.

When they recall F/A's for the summer, just to furlough them again in the fall like migrant workers- I will make them pay.

When they constantly violate the letter and spirit of our contract, a contract that's a bargain by any measure, and force us to fight lengthy grievances - I will make them pay.

My negotiating committee speaks for me, but I act on my own. I am a walking nightmare to the bean counters that made me.

Are you listening? This mercenary has a lot of years left with this company; how long can you afford to keep me bitter?

I'm not looking for clauses in a contract; I am looking for a culture of commitment and caring. When I see it, I'll be a soldier for CAL again.

Until then, I am an army of One And I'm not alone!

Last edited by SEA 737; 03-29-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: sp