View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 AM
strfyr51
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Position: A320/A319/B737 Sys Acft Maint Controller

Originally Posted by Rabid Seagull View Post
10 second story on CNN said smoke in the cabin/cockpit/ passenger's pants? forced emergency landing which looks like the nose went off the runway/ taxiway.

I wonder how many people texted during the landing that their lives were over ( a- la the SWA airlines story right before this one on CNN. Please turn on all your electronic crap when it matters the most)?
The ECAM Message was "Land ASAP" usually reported by the "SDCU" with smoke in the Avionics or Cargo bay.. (any of you Airbus guys ask your mechanics or controllers if you doubt me) Unfortunately, this is many times a false indication because the Airbus smoke detectors can't tell real smoke from Diesel soot ingested by the cooling fans from a diesel Ground power unit NOR Condensation from humidity. The ECAM checklist is OVERLY complex and possibly a "SET UP", EXTREMELY confusing (Don't take my word for it. Read the entire checklist yourself) because Airbus is too damn Dumb to admit that warning is a "Sham", where if a Capt is REALLY "COOL", he/she could reset the Flight warning computers and get rid of the entire message (Which is ALSO in the flight manual.) This incident buttresses my opinion that this airplane is an Overwrought "JOKE" ! I'm damn GLAD the AirForce bought the Boeing tankers Cuz AIRBUS ain't READY for "Prime Time" and They're NEVER going to BE ready!
That Poor Capt was led down the Primrose Path! And Airbus will soon have 14,000 excuses as to WHY!! If they say anything at ALL!