Thread: Re: RAH
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 AM
forgot to bid
veut gagner à la loterie

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Light Chop

Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
This is illustrative of a HUGE problem for the pilot profession. "We have to do what we have to do to pay the bills..." Really? Even if it means your actions are shrinking the very companies that you hope to join one day? How do you justify your actions that keep food on your table, but require furloughs from the majors? Don't the food on THOSE guys tables count?

I had been furloughed 4 times by 1982 when American Airlines sent me a note to come and interview for a pilot slot under their all new "B scale." When I found out what a B scale meant, I turned down the interview. I REALLY needed the work, but I found a corporate job instead. If you're not prepared to do that, you're probably dooming yourself to be a regional lifer. But more importantly, your work is destroying a once proud profession by agreeing to work under any terms.

Even if it means furloughing a major guy whose flying you accepted as outsourced flying? Will you really do anything for money?

When you get a call from a major? Don't you see that your current actions are all but preventing that from ever happening?

Carl
The one thing I would wish for, if I was a regional pilot, was that there was a regional turboprop operation worth going to. Get paid to fly, upgrade, run away asap. But now regionals are years and years to upgrade while flying mainline equipment and turboprop pay. In a way I see the merits of Great Lakes, pay sucks but hey its not replacement flying, it's turboprops doing nothing but hard core flying and it used to be at least quick upgrades and thus quick exits.