View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by 170Homie View Post
Well, I re-read your post and this is what I got out of it:

1: By working for a regional, you are running this profession into ruins.
That's correct. It may not have been the case decades ago, but it damn sure is now. You'll understand it when your pay is seen as too high, and your job is outsourced to the next guy from another pilot puppy mill who will do your job to gain experience. Experience needed so he can hire on with a big regional some day. Then you'll get it...maybe.

2: It's better to feed your family by working anywhere else other than a regional. Can't get the corporate job, how about Taco Bell. Anywhere but a regional.
Not always true. But it IS true if your hope is to get to a major some day. The work you're doing is slowing the growth of the majors, and as such, your chances of ever working for a major. Do you not see that?

3: It's better to struggle, be hungry and possibly homeless than to take a job at a regional because god forbid you cause the major airline pilot guy his job.
That is exactly correct. It's what I did when I was furloughed. I actually worked a construction job in California for a while and made pretty good money. It never caused another pilot to get furloughed. Yes...God forbid I would ever have done something like that.

Carl