View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 06:21 PM
DAL 88 Driver
At home on the maddog!

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: ATL MD-88A

Originally Posted by acl65pilot View Post
I guess that is what concerns/confuses me. No one is willing to get involved with the current union, so the answer is an alternate one where the majority on here conclude the apathy will not be the same after a year or two? I see a disconnect in that logic.
I think it's going to take a massive change in our representation to ignite this pilot group and get people excited and engaged again. I think a big part of the apathy is simply because DALPA has no compelling objective. I mean, what's the point? DALPA's going to do what DALPA's going to do. Many of our pilots have just given up in frustration because they do not think DALPA can be changed/fixed. Obviously, I don't agree with anyone giving up... but I can certainly understand why they feel the way they do after we've gone for half a decade without DALPA advocating that we should restore what we've lost and even in some ways arguing against restoration.

Oh and 88, not calling you emotional, I am calling the calling out the battle cry of Scope and Pay with a plan of nothing more than we will do whatever it takes as the mantra.
You have to set the objective first. Especially with something like what we've all experienced losing half the value of our careers! You set the objective... and then you set out with a laser like focus on achieving the objective, and you develop the plan with all the details around that. Adjustments have to be made from time to time... but everything revolves around the objective. DALPA has done absolutely nothing like this. And they've had almost HALF A DECADE to do it! At this point, I'm ready to give someone else a chance. If you're a football coach, how long you gonna leave the same players in the game when they haven't moved your team downfield all game long and don't even appear to be trying to do so?

If DPA is to be successful, they need to show depth of knowledge. That, in my opinion has not been done. Show knowledge of the broader issues as well.
We have a lot of talent and knowledge in this pilot group. I have no doubt we have a "depth of knowledge" on the "broader issues." And a $30 million budget could afford plenty of outside expertise when needed too. Again, I see this as a diversionary argument.