View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 01:37 PM
RedeyeAV8r
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by eaglefly View Post

Yes.......make sure they know what a mistake they'd be making supporting an economically bloated and ineffective bargaining representative. JB pilots no-doubt need recognized representation, but in-house/independent would be better then funneling more cash into that worthless outfit.
Better yet, talk to a former TWA or Midwest Express pilot.
Or talk to a FedEx guy who went through NO Union, then ALPA, Then Independent, and then ALPA again.

I've said it before, ALPA has it's warts no question, just like every organization.
That being said, JB pilots would be more economically ahead voting in ALPA than trying to go it alone. ALPA will be far cheaper than an in house.

It cost a great deal of money starting up an In house Union where there is no Current Contract and "NO" Agency shop clause (i.e where dues are strictly voluntary not mandatory) especially with a small Pilot group. You will initially have 30% or more that won't pay dues or Pilots will quit paying at the drop of a hat because something doesn't go their way.... Been there and done that. We lost 5 years under and ineffective independent Union. From one whose has been there, Try funding all the start up costs of a Union office, Staff, Trip loss for Leadership/ Negotiating Committee members as well as $1000/hr Fees for Labor lawyers, ERISA lawyers and other experts. It gets expensive real quick.
When you join ALPA you get all this for free as part of your dues.

JB guys need to get a Union and a contract quickly for all your long term protection.
Merger-acquisition, bankruptcy, Fracture sell off etc. I realize many JB pilots probably have a "History" with ALPA. Many of us at FedEx did also. We finally realized it was the lesser of three evils (No Union, Independent or National). We wisely chose ALPA again, although we were slow learners. but even Freight dawgs can learn from past mistakes.

Good luck guys/gals from JB.

Last edited by RedeyeAV8r; 05-07-2011 at 01:49 PM.