View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 PM
IdahoFlyer
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Default 135

Wow, so much negativity towards 135. Granted, much of it is understandable. I work for a small 135 outfit and I am on call 24/7 with 6 guaranteed days off per month. I have been called out in middle of the night only 2 times in the year I've been with the company and I typically only fly 1 maybe 2 day trips per week. I am also in school, but switched to online classes to afford me the flexibility my company requires. I have a wife and 3 kids i get to spend lots of time with, and my QOL is great...other than the fact that I get paid crap (40k). So, don't drop out of school, don't give up on flying (unless you're thin skinned), and get to know people within companies who can give you the lowdown on how the company works.
I got hired into turbo props with a single pilot 135 outfit last year with 2000 TT and 67 Multi and no ATP. I'd say that is definitely more the exception than the rule, but it's because I worked the airport and got to know people. Get out there, make contacts and educate yourself on your best possibilities and convince companies that the need you. Aviation is a tough profession and the more you understand that the easier the aviation life will be for you. Have fun!