Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
lukeh99's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 101
Default Questions for Current AW Pilots

I have an interview next week and I'm really looking forward to it. I've heard nothing but good things about Air Wisconsin.

A few questions for people in the know:

1. Where is the movement coming from? From what I have read the new United aircraft are essentially just replacing old AA flying 1 for 1. Is the movement projected based on attrition or is there actual expansion happening?

2. How are the lines currently? I realize UAL flying will be a whole different animal, but what does a middle of the road line currently look like in terms of days off, hours, commutability, etc.

3. Are there any details available regarding the United Career Pathway program? Is there a commitment to a certain % per month, for example?

4. I'm a former 121 pilot with E145 SIC type but I have been out for a few years. Does the extra 8k bonus apply?


Thanks so much!
lukeh99 is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
StrykerB21's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2016
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeh99 View Post
I have an interview next week and I'm really looking forward to it. I've heard nothing but good things about Air Wisconsin.

A few questions for people in the know:

1. Where is the movement coming from? From what I have read the new United aircraft are essentially just replacing old AA flying 1 for 1. Is the movement projected based on attrition or is there actual expansion happening?

2. How are the lines currently? I realize UAL flying will be a whole different animal, but what does a middle of the road line currently look like in terms of days off, hours, commutability, etc.

3. Are there any details available regarding the United Career Pathway program? Is there a commitment to a certain % per month, for example?

4. I'm a former 121 pilot with E145 SIC type but I have been out for a few years. Does the extra 8k bonus apply?


Thanks so much!
1. No word about expansion at this point. We currently have about 450 pilots on property so a lot of the movement will be simply rebuilding our seniority list in addition to natural attrition off the top.

2. The lines are typically 4 on 3 off with a lot in open time. Reserves have 12 days off minimum and are used every day. Because of our staffing situation reroutes extensions and junior assignments are pretty common. Prepare to fly a lot. In theory this should get better as more pilots come through IOE.

3. No word about the CPP at this point and I dont think well have any answers to that question until our United flying begins in the fall.

4. I dont know.
StrykerB21 is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
lukeh99's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 101
Default

Cool thanks. I appreciate it.
lukeh99 is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #4  
On Reserve
 
CaptureThis's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
Default

You said 121 time, with a E145 SIC type rating. Umm I am pretty sure if you were flying part 121 you can not have an SIC type rating and be legal, correct me if I am wrong, flying part 135 yes. Not to mention a 50 seat airplane can't be operated under 135 unless it only has 30 seats in it. I was just recently hired also with two SIC type ratings flying part 135. I was not eligible for the 8k because SIC type ratings do not count, (PIC only) the rest of the bonus is still pretty sweeeeet though......
CaptureThis is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
BigZ's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2016
Posts: 727
Default

Pretty sure a friend had an exact same SIC only on his certificate after a stint with ExpressJet few years back
BigZ is offline  
Old 06-20-2017, 05:14 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
flysooner9's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,720
Default

Prior to the ATP rule most regionals handed out SIC's.
flysooner9 is offline  
Old 06-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
BigWillyCapt's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2017
Posts: 144
Default

Stryker is pretty accurate. The movement is based on our current staffing levels being below what we need to fully staff 65 aircraft. Our flying is down right now as we wind down the AA feed and prepare for the UAL spool up. Rumors abound about how much flying we will do for UAL, but as of right now it's only for 65 aircraft. You will find out, (if you didn't already know) management is notoriously tight lipped about specifics regarding the future.

Re:lines. Yes, 3 off 4 on is the norm for lineholders. 3 off 5 on for reserves. Typically reserves fly a lot although it fluctuates over time due to staffing. I would expect to fly a lot for the foreseeable future. Lines lately have been lower credit, 70-80 hours. With 14-18 days off. Again, due to the lower total block hours there are more sits during the day. Traditionally lines have been 80-100 hours with 12-15 days off. With some outliers.

Our CPP is rumored to be very similar to the other agreements out there and supposedly there is an announcement coming shortly.
BigWillyCapt is offline  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
lukeh99's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptureThis View Post
You said 121 time, with a E145 SIC type rating. Umm I am pretty sure if you were flying part 121 you can not have an SIC type rating and be legal, correct me if I am wrong, flying part 135 yes. Not to mention a 50 seat airplane can't be operated under 135 unless it only has 30 seats in it. I was just recently hired also with two SIC type ratings flying part 135. I was not eligible for the 8k because SIC type ratings do not count, (PIC only) the rest of the bonus is still pretty sweeeeet though......
It's an ATP with an EMB-145 SIC ONLY on the back. This is from 2013 so I'm assuming the rules have changed. Thanks for the info. on the bonus. Congrats on being hired!
lukeh99 is offline  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
lukeh99's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWillyCapt View Post
Stryker is pretty accurate. The movement is based on our current staffing levels being below what we need to fully staff 65 aircraft. Our flying is down right now as we wind down the AA feed and prepare for the UAL spool up. Rumors abound about how much flying we will do for UAL, but as of right now it's only for 65 aircraft. You will find out, (if you didn't already know) management is notoriously tight lipped about specifics regarding the future.

Re:lines. Yes, 3 off 4 on is the norm for lineholders. 3 off 5 on for reserves. Typically reserves fly a lot although it fluctuates over time due to staffing. I would expect to fly a lot for the foreseeable future. Lines lately have been lower credit, 70-80 hours. With 14-18 days off. Again, due to the lower total block hours there are more sits during the day. Traditionally lines have been 80-100 hours with 12-15 days off. With some outliers.

Our CPP is rumored to be very similar to the other agreements out there and supposedly there is an announcement coming shortly.
Thanks for the info. This all seems pretty much in line with my previous 121 job. Gotta love those long sits
lukeh99 is offline  
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
schmohawk's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2015
Position: CRJ 0B
Posts: 215
Default

I'd rather be in the air but the sits aren't bad knowing that we are at least getting paid thanks to the 2:1 duty rig
schmohawk is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CommutAir Rumors and Info Crawl CommutAir 5408 03-21-2020 06:45 AM
Kudos to JetBlue's Pilot Voting Committee! P-3Bubba Major 174 04-23-2014 06:14 AM
American Eagle ALPA & AA APA Strike bgmann Regional 31 11-19-2011 07:33 PM
RAH Representation Election - Write in "RPC"! RPC Unity Union Talk 149 06-30-2011 08:39 PM
Junior at NW/DL? Here's some CPS flowdown info. JungleBus Major 121 12-20-2008 04:13 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:09 PM.