Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > > >
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Oct 2013
Posts: 138
Default Allegiant Engine failure in CVG

Allegiant just had an engine failure on rotation in CVG. Metal fragments all over the runway and intersecting runway. Closed 27 and 18C for the time being. Crew did a great job, from the sound of it on the radio, and they got the plane back on the ground safely.

Good job.
skiK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2014
Posts: 339
Default

Allegiant plane makes emergency landing at CVG Airport - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Parts on the runway Classic worst case V1 cut. Kudos to the crew; hopefully our lucky streak will continue and this captain doesn't get fired for embarrassing the company (sarcasm).

Seriously, among other maintenance 'oversights' (flight controls, smoke, gear, etc) the alarming fleet-wide catastrophic engine failure rate continues unabated despite added FAA scrutiny and management's commitments to invest more in maintenance. Heads will surely roll. Oh wait, the Maintenance VP already quit and the Exec VP 'retired'.

Maintenance concerns mount almost as fast as record profits. ValuJet was a Wall Street Cinderella too.

Last edited by tyler durden; 07-22-2017 at 08:38 AM.
tyler durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2016
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler durden View Post
Allegiant plane makes emergency landing at CVG Airport - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Parts on the runway Classic worst case V1 cut. Kudos to the crew; hopefully our lucky streak will continue and this captain doesn't get fired for embarrassing the company (sarcasm).

Seriously, among other maintenance 'oversights' (flight controls, smoke, gear, etc) the alarming fleet-wide catastrophic engine failure rate continues unabated despite added FAA scrutiny and management's commitments to invest more in maintenance. Heads will surely roll. Oh wait, the Maintenance VP already quit and the Exec VP 'retired'.

Maintenance concerns mount almost as fast as record profits. ValuJet was a Wall Street Cinderella too.
You’re right, ultimately the worst happened; got bought by swa for a stupid premium amount and loved them into the seniority list prison style. Begged Delta to buy the 717s by paying them a bonus to take them; brilliant move, decimating the ATL hub. Definitely don’t want to end up like them.

But no, really man. Do not want that to happen here. Since the contract got signed no one has left for swa.
FreshWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #4  
Are we there yet?
 
crxpilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2012
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler durden View Post
Allegiant plane makes emergency landing at CVG Airport - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Parts on the runway Classic worst case V1 cut. Kudos to the crew; hopefully our lucky streak will continue and this captain doesn't get fired for embarrassing the company (sarcasm).

Seriously, among other maintenance 'oversights' (flight controls, smoke, gear, etc) the alarming fleet-wide catastrophic engine failure rate continues unabated despite added FAA scrutiny and management's commitments to invest more in maintenance. Heads will surely roll. Oh wait, the Maintenance VP already quit and the Exec VP 'retired'.

Maintenance concerns mount almost as fast as record profits. ValuJet was a Wall Street Cinderella too.
Stuff happens.
crxpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2014
Posts: 339
Default

Yes it does, but some stuff is preventable. This happened because the engine ingested a huge chunk of attrition liner that had been written up for coming apart. $igned off 'within limit$'.

It's understandable that we don't want to spend too much on a retiring fleet, but safety must always be the overriding concern.

Last edited by tyler durden; 07-22-2017 at 11:03 AM.
tyler durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2011
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler durden View Post
Yes it does, but some stuff is preventable. This happened because the engine ingested a huge chunk of attrition liner that had been written up for coming apart. $igned off 'within limit$'.
Boeing engineers, not Allegiant mechanics set the limits. If the attrition liner was properly measured and found to be within limits as the logbook said than blame Boeing, not Allegiant.
flyingdutchman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2014
Posts: 339
Default

Not sure whether the issue was properly addressed, but given our past, I believe there's room for skepticism. It will be fully investigated so time will tell. Question: Would you put your family today on another 757 that had similar delamination? Would our mechanics or Boeing engineers?

Life and limb arguments aside, at best, our maintenance continues to roll the dice on our careers as we are left to manage what we are handed. One need look no further than the ongoing court case in FL where one of our fellow pilots was set up with yet another smoke filled cabin and subsequently terminated for doing exactly what he was trained to do. Let's not forget the knee jerked, cavalier and callous fashion by which the hasty decision was made to potentially end this man's career.

This is a very unforgiving business, we must hold our leadership accountable and demand answers from a company that has routinely taken shortcuts at our expense.

Last edited by tyler durden; 07-22-2017 at 11:46 AM.
tyler durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:45 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2016
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler durden View Post
Not sure whether the issue was properly addressed, but given our past, I believe there's room for skepticism. It will be fully investigated so time will tell. Question: Would you put your family today on another 757 that had similar delamination? Would our mechanics or Boeing engineers?

Life and limb arguments aside, at best, our maintenance continues to roll the dice on our careers as we are left to manage what we are handed. One need look no further than the ongoing court case in FL where one of our fellow pilots was set up with yet another smoke filled cabin and subsequently terminated for doing exactly what he was trained to do. This is a very unforgiving business, we must hold our leadership accountable and demand answers from a company that has routinely taken shortcuts at our expense.
Drama much? Asking industry insiders this question, is akin to asking a nurse to question the competency of a doctor they have knowledge of, whom they would avoid. Doesn’t matter what we think, there are enough unsophisticated types in the world who don’t know, don’t care to ask.

Careers at stake? Last I heard there’s a hiring boom. Take advantage of it.
FreshWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2014
Posts: 339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshWater View Post
Drama much? Asking industry insiders this question, is akin to asking a nurse to question the competency of a doctor they have knowledge of, whom they would avoid. Doesn’t matter what we think, there are enough unsophisticated types in the world who don’t know, don’t care to ask.

Careers at stake? Last I heard there’s a hiring boom. Take advantage of it.
Go tell our terminated colleague about drama. While you're at it, perhaps you can advise him about getting hired after a termination for incompetence. I'm quite sure he'd love to hear the excuses you're making on behalf of the company that carelessly tossed his career aside.
tyler durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Posts: 680
Default

I REALLY don't think it's appropriate to be having his discussion on an open forum, read by customers and the media who may take Tyler's comments out of context. The last thing this company needs is more bad press. And quoting internal memos online is NEVER a good idea. If you want to be an activist, or even if you just want to trash the company, be a man, and do it on the internal forum with your name beside it.

Bottom line: there was a maintenance related incident which the pilots acted in accordance with their training, and no one was hurt. The issue has been found and addressed. That's really all the public needs to hear, because that's all there is to this. To try and stir up drama of the past is useless to all of us.
ecam is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prairie Air Service KennyG1700 Flight Schools and Training 37 09-19-2018 05:05 PM
GoJet CR7 engine failure out of JFK-RDU AV8AJET Safety 17 10-18-2016 09:11 PM
Engine driven fuel pump failure... CFItillIdie Technical 9 02-26-2013 07:29 AM
F-16 Engine failure over Iraq, 2/17/91 (Audio Clip) Jakob Hangar Talk 5 01-13-2007 09:21 AM
777 Engine Failure HSLD Your Photos and Videos 6 11-05-2006 03:33 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:12 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1