Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Posts: 258
Default Who could have predicted this?

This was from a post back in 2012 called Eagle Pilots: A must read



There is no job protection. AA will be taken over, more than likely, by US Airways and the AIP contains no successorship or merger protection language when AA is acquired by another carrier.

Who could have predicted that it would be the OTHER WAY AROUND, that AA would take over US Airway.
TCASTESTOK is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #2  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Mar 2017
Position: Sometimes left, sometimes right
Posts: 21
Default

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ..._Airways_Group

That's not quite how it all shook out.

TL;DR
-The merger was seen more of a merger of equals
-AA branding remained due to better name recognition
-Most of the management team is former US, Doug Parker was even the AW CEO before the AW-US merger
-One world stayed because why would the new AA stay in Star Alliance with United?
-Most operations facilities consolidated to DFW because they already existed, previously US had stuff all over, HQ in PHX, operations center in PIT

So no, AA didn't really take over US Airways.
ps2sunvalley is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: B737 FO
Posts: 2,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCASTESTOK View Post
This was from a post back in 2012 called Eagle Pilots: A must read



There is no job protection. AA will be taken over, more than likely, by US Airways and the AIP contains no successorship or merger protection language when AA is acquired by another carrier.

Who could have predicted that it would be the OTHER WAY AROUND, that AA would take over US Airway.
They didn't. But thanks for playing.
EMBFlyer is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:09 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCASTESTOK View Post
This was from a post back in 2012 called Eagle Pilots: A must read



There is no job protection. AA will be taken over, more than likely, by US Airways and the AIP contains no successorship or merger protection language when AA is acquired by another carrier.

Who could have predicted that it would be the OTHER WAY AROUND, that AA would take over US Airway.
I think you got that backward. USAir took over AA. They kept the AA name but it was a USAIR show.
sailingfun is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 04:21 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
I think you got that backward. USAir took over AA. They kept the AA name but it was a USAIR show.
Yes, but Parker took the "adapt and go" philosophy where the management would adapt the policies (generally) of the larger group. However, LAA management pilots still generally populate the tiers of flight operations. Now policies that were once used on the DC-6 are now starting to be used on the Airbus. I don't really care, the pay makes up for it and we're not going back to a qfe altimeter setting (as of now, anyway).
Route66 is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2015
Posts: 122
Default

who cares?
flydc is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: B737 FO
Posts: 2,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66 View Post
Yes, but Parker took the "adapt and go" philosophy where the management would adapt the policies (generally) of the larger group. However, LAA management pilots still generally populate the tiers of flight operations. Now policies that were once used on the DC-6 are now starting to be used on the Airbus. I don't really care, the pay makes up for it and we're not going back to a qfe altimeter setting (as of now, anyway).
You could always take that up with the union's Safety Committee.

....Oh, that's right...
EMBFlyer is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2017
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
I think you got that backward. USAir took over AA. They kept the AA name but it was a USAIR show.
And they are doing a fantastic job! On a completely unrelated note, has anyone seen the stock price lately? Also, anyone have any guess how much market share we will end up giving up in the largest US market city? Anyway, fanatastic job. Faaantastic.
SheepDogg is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #9  
Weekend workaholic
 
flyinawa's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: A320 FO
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
I think you got that backward. USAir took over AA. They kept the AA name but it was a USAIR show.
Jeez, I thought it was AWA took over USAir. They just kept the...wait, you know what? WHO CARES! ALL that crap is way above our pay grade and water under the bridge. If we don’t all start rowing in the same direction, we’re ALL gonna have pretty disappointing careers.
flyinawa is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinawa View Post
Jeez, I thought it was AWA took over USAir. They just kept the...wait, you know what? WHO CARES! ALL that crap is way above our pay grade and water under the bridge. If we don’t all start rowing in the same direction, we’re ALL gonna have pretty disappointing careers.
I wish more realized this.

As more newbies come on board I hope it will get better. As is, most CA's are checking out within the next five to ten years so they DGAF. Can't say I don't blame them.
Name User is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Envoy Smutter Envoy Airlines 10847 01-18-2019 08:31 AM
Touch and Gos 12-06 Stafffing Scoop Major 171 06-28-2012 11:25 AM
As Predicted the DALPA Parrots are Out.... Jack Bauer Major 87 06-18-2012 09:10 AM
Lee Moak's stance on scope and unity. shadyops Major 193 10-19-2009 02:03 PM
Lessons in Social Security scaremongering FighterHayabusa Money Talk 85 10-04-2009 04:08 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:21 PM.