Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #11  
AAmerican Way for AA Pay
 
B757200ER's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: B-737 Pilot
Posts: 1,609
Default TDY is Perk

I was sent from DFW/GSW for 737 upgrade sim to MIA and Boeing because the CAE sim was broken. Our Sim-P lived in PHX, normally commuted to DFW, and was responsible for housing/cars/etc in DFW. But, in MIA, he was given positive-space travel, rental car, hotel and per diem. Good deal to be TDY, even for 5-10 days, instead of going to DFW.

I assume this would apply to CLT Sim-Ps who were sent elsewhere.
B757200ER is offline  
Old 11-02-2019, 11:04 PM   #12  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 28
Default

It does, but it is a rare occurrence.
CLTPilot190 is offline  
Old 11-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #13  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Mar 2013
Position: B767 on the right.
Posts: 11
Default

Transitioning to the line is no impossible but very hard to do.
Word is that the idea has been conveyed to the upper management pilots but there is resistance, there are a total of perhaps about 6 Sim Instructors willing to get hired but they are having a hard time being heard for at least being given an interview.
You have a better chance of getting called if currently flying and of course if you are ex-military.
For the strictly civilian guys, unless you are a flow through is is very hard to get the email.

If you donít care about flying anymore it is a pretty good gig.
A320 CURSED is online now  
Old 11-26-2019, 09:23 PM   #14  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: SWA 737 FO
Posts: 334
Default

Guys...

I'm retired AA. May I ask:

1. Does AA positive space you from your home city to the fit academy, or to MIA if thats where they need you, or do you need to effectively live in the DFW area?

2. Approx how many days of instruction would a sim instructor do per month?

Thanks fellas.

Kap
Kapitanleutnant is offline  
Old 11-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #15  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitanleutnant View Post
Guys...

I'm retired AA. May I ask:

1. Does AA positive space you from your home city to the fit academy, or to MIA if thats where they need you, or do you need to effectively live in the DFW area?

2. Approx how many days of instruction would a sim instructor do per month?

Thanks fellas.

Kap

Normal schedule is 17 days. You can opt on an annual basis to work up to a 20 day schedule. In CLT not many do. There is no Space Positive travel to your base. If you were TDY in MIA or any other location besides your home base it is Positive Space and you get Per Diem.
CLTPilot190 is offline  
Old 11-28-2019, 05:40 AM   #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RhinoBallAuto's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: Recovering OBOGS addict
Posts: 280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTPilot190 View Post
...There is no Space Positive travel to your base. If you were TDY in MIA or any other location besides your home base it is Positive Space and you get Per Diem.
This is correct. I'll add a couple points though. My Sim P was a retired Westie CKA and lived in PHX. He tried to bid TDYs whenever possible for the reasons posted above (ideally to LAS). Otherwise, you're on the hook for travel to, and lodging at GSW.

Additionally, as an employee you get D2/D1 privileges, but a you likely know, depending on where you're living that can still be a tough commute. They don't have JS privileges for the sake of commuting, but they are required a certain number of periodic JS observation rides (I forget the currency requirement) that can be used for occasional commuting.
RhinoBallAuto is offline  
Old 11-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #17  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoBallAuto View Post
This is correct. I'll add a couple points though. My Sim P was a retired Westie CKA and lived in PHX. He tried to bid TDYs whenever possible for the reasons posted above (ideally to LAS). Otherwise, you're on the hook for travel to, and lodging at GSW.

Additionally, as an employee you get D2/D1 privileges, but a you likely know, depending on where you're living that can still be a tough commute. They don't have JS privileges for the sake of commuting, but they are required a certain number of periodic JS observation rides (I forget the currency requirement) that can be used for occasional commuting.
We actually do have JS privileges for commuting.
CLTPilot190 is offline  
Old 11-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #18  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RhinoBallAuto's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: Recovering OBOGS addict
Posts: 280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTPilot190 View Post
We actually do have JS privileges for commuting.
Well there ya go.

Edit: can you reserve it though? Perhaps that was the difference...
RhinoBallAuto is offline  
Old 11-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #19  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoBallAuto View Post
Well there ya go.

Edit: can you reserve it though? Perhaps that was the difference...
Yeah, that's correct, only reserved for required recurrent observations.
CLTPilot190 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:00 AM.